CIO Straight Talk - Issue 9 - 73
CIO MUST KNOW
HOW TO DO
In her book Be the Business: CIOs in the
New Era of IT, Martha Heller describes 10
competencies-and how you put those
competencies into action-of CIOs who
have moved from seeing IT as enabler of
the business to seeing IT as the business:
1. Step into the Digital Leadership Void.
6. Tell a Good Story. Learn to spin the
Embrace the opportunities unlocked by
memorable tales that are much more
the rise of digital technologies.
effective than an architectural schematic
when it comes to selling abstract
2. Manage the White Space. Leverage your
unique end-to-end horizontal view of the
technology concepts to a wide array of
organization to create business value.
7. Grow Blended Executives. Develop the
3. Dismantle the Iceberg. Address head-
talent you will need tomorrow, leaders as
on the legacy challenge facing every
well versed in business processes as in
organization, managing the old while
SDLC or ITIL.
introducing the new.
8. Be the Business. Take down walls built
4. Turn IT Consumers into Co-investors.
around IT and become an influential
Create a community of business users
enterprise leader who just happens to
knowledgeable about the true cost of
also manage the IT function.
IT and who share accountability for
9. Think Product. The line between IT and
"product" is beginning to blur, regardless
5. Lead. Shed the role of enabling business
strategy in the digital age and take the
of whether the product is for internal use
or in the direct line of revenue.
lead in setting it, focusing on what to do,
not just the how.
10. Go faster. Find ways to deliver products
and value at a breakneck pace, without
sacrificing security or quality.